Friday, August 19, 2011

Double Post: Stripes and Sweater Savvy


I've been a fan of the show Project Runway since it started. I love watching everyday, average people make above-average garments! (Side Note: Kinda bummed that the show moved from Bravo to Lifetime... because once that happened, I pretty much stopped watching. Anyway.. not important..)

One of my favorite designers from the series is Jeffrey Sebelia. He actually won season 3 with his rock & roll final collection. I was really inspired by some of the garments he sent down the runway throughout his season on the show, particularly his final collection which was out-of-control amazing. The outfit I am modifying today is one the dresses from his final runway show. The green stripes and yellow zipper details make for a girly, yet edgy look!


For my outfit, I wore a green and white striped pencil skirt from Talbots. It's a really soft linen material. Such a great find! (I actually picked up this skirt at a ridiculous discount - the store was having an additional 50% off sale, so I got it for under $30!) To pull in the yellow detail, I added my skinny yellow belt. My skirt doesn't have belt loops, so I just laid the belt at the top of my skirt and fastened it accordingly so it would stay put. (If you click on the pics, they'll expand. You can see a bit closer how I tied the belt to create a delicate loop detail.)

The model on the runway is wearing metallic sandals, so I opted for my favorite go-to Jack Rogers. Even though the model's dress is suited for a night out, I hope I demonstrated that any runway outfit can be modified and made appropriate for any occasion (in this instance, work!).

 

BONUS! Sweater Savvy
Below, I added a sweater into the mix, and wore it several different ways. In some cases, when I'm sitting down and don't necessarily want my sweater on, I hang it over my shoulders. If I'm out walking around and get warm, I'll tie it around my shoulder in a light knot.  Sometimes it takes a little bit of adjusting-- I usually do this in front of a mirror.

 







I think this particular style looks best when the sleeves sit just at the tip of your shoulders, making an open "V" shape that comes together and is tied in the middle. This look gives off a preppy-casual vibe. Don't be afraid to play around with it until it's sitting comfortably on your shoulders, because if it's not right-- you'll be messing with it all day!




Make it your own:
Skirt: Talbots $48.99
Tank: Target $8
Sweater: J.Crew Factory $19.99
Belt: Target about $10
Sandals: Jack Rogers $98


No comments:

Post a Comment