Friday, April 19, 2013

Friday Fashion Inspiration

I know it's been a tense week with everything that's happening in Boston related to the marathon bombers. I just wanted to say my thoughts and prayers are still with the people of Boston. I know you will be resilient, and come out an even stronger community after this tragedy.

That said, I did put together a post for today...

It's a fashion inspiration post today on GJU. I follow several fashion bloggers, and always love the outfit ideas they come up with, and how they pair different pieces together in fresh, new ways.

One of the bloggers I like is Lauren from The Pear Shape: Fashion for the Hip-Endowed. I'm on the same page as Lauren... my hips don't lie.

One of Lauren's posts from last summer really caught my eye. I liked how she paired a casual chambray top, knotted at the bottom, with a more streamlined pencil skirt. To add some color, she layered on a statement necklace in a bright coral hue. 

[GJU Sidenote: Pairing blousy/voluminous tops with slimmer bottoms (such as pencil skirts or skinny jeans) is a really flattering silhouette on curvier women. It created a cinched waist, drawing the eye down and elongating the body.]

Photo from Lauren's post, Purple Haze

Imitation is the ultimate form of flattery, so I decided to recreate this outfit. I changed it up a little, adding some of my own personal touches, and tweaking it to be more weather appropriate for Baltimore. I wore this outfit a couple weeks ago when it was still pretty chilly in Baltimore, so instead of metallic flats, I wore tights and boots. Additionally, I kept it casual by wearing my chambray shirt open with a polka dot shell underneath, instead of knotting it at the bottom.


Is this something you would wear? How would you style it? Would love to hear your thoughts and comments :)

Make it your own:
Chambray top: J. Crew, $78
Polka dot shell: J. Crew, $110
Pencil Skirt: J. Crew, $98
Necklace: LOFT, $44.99
Earrings: The Limited, $19.90
Boots: Madden Girl (Similar style, $42.94)


No comments:

Post a Comment