Monday, October 27, 2014

Fitness and Lifestyle Update

As you guys know, I've been trying to move toward living a healthier lifestyle. I've amped up my activity level by working out 2-3 times a week with my wonderful (and very patient) trainer, Tim. I've also been trying to keep better track of what I'm eating.

At this point, I am feeling much stronger. I've noticed slightly more definition in my arms, and when I really suck it in tighten my stomach, I can see that I've firmed up a little there as well.

As far as weight: I've gained 3 more pounds. I weigh more than I have in years.

At first this really upset me. I felt extremely defeated. I've put in so much effort at the gym, and I've made better food choices than I have in the past (generally). But this feeling of disappointment quickly diminished over the last weekend.

On Sunday, I participated in the Race for the Cure. I was determined to run the entire 5k race (3.1 miles) in under 40 minutes. I'm not a runner, nor do I run on the treadmill at the gym, so I thought giving myself a 10-12 minute per mile average speed was the most realistic. (Let's be honest: a six minute mile wasn't gonna happen!)

Drum roll please... Not only did I run the majority of the race, I completed the 5k in 37 minutes. I stopped to walk for about five minutes because my hip was bothering me, but other than that, I was running the whole time. That's a little over 10 minutes per mile, and I am damn proud of myself for it.

Had I not been training with Tim over the last several months, completing the race in 37 minutes would not have been possible. The hard work and sweat I put in at the gym and the better food choices - though not resulting in many visible physical changes/weight loss so far - resulted in me being able to accomplish something that otherwise wouldn't have been in the realm of possibility for me.

Before the run: showing our spirit in these pink tutus!

This was taken right when I completed the race -  so happy to have finished it in 37 mis!

Happy we ran for a good cause and raised money for breast cancer research!

Regarding the weight gain: some of it is muscle mass. Tim has me doing lots of strength training exercises, as well as lifting weights. I am gaining muscles that I didn't have before I started working with him. Also, though I've made better food choices (choosing an apple instead of chips), I am still having issues regulating my portions. I am hungrier these days because I am exerting so much more energy each day during my workouts, and I have a hard time staying within reasonable portions. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am a snacker. I've yet to be able to get that back on track. Additionally, I have issues with my thyroid, resulting in difficulty regulating my metabolism. Because of that, it's an added level of complexity and difficulty when I try to lose weight.

So, I've decided to do Weight Watchers for a couple months just to get my portion control back on track. Doing that, and keeping up with my workouts, should jump start my metabolism and hopefully I will start to see those results. It's not all about the number on the scale, but I do realize that I am eating more than I should be. With a little more conscience decision making when it comes to meals, I am hoping it will get me get me back on the path to a healthier lifestyle!

Side note: have you tried Weight Watchers? I am open to any recipe suggestions!

Until Next Time,
GJU

p.s. In the Baltimore area and looking for a trainer? You're in luck. Tim is currently accepting new trainees! I'd love to work out with you. Shoot me an email and I'll put you in touch! getjessedup(at)gmail(dot)com

1 comment:

  1. Love the outfit but love the cause even more! Congrats on a great race!!

    ReplyDelete